Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mardi Gras!

In honor of Fat Tuesday I made shrimp and andouille sausage gumbo! It was DELSIH! It was my first time cooking Cajun/Creole food and I think I might just be a life now. The seasoning was perfection along with texture and the deepness of the roux. And I owe it all to.... Chef Paul Prudhomme and his Louisiana Kitchen!
Picture from Amazon

This cookbook was wonderful to use! I borrowed it from a friend from work after he had raved about the Jambalaya he had made over the weekend. Chef Paul gives a fabulous introduction to Louisiana style cooking then goes through in detail describing every ingredient he uses. I am a convert to his recipes! And now for some pictures....

I used homemade chicken stock I had frozen awhile back.The perfect base.

I was so into the cooking that I forgot to take a picture of the roux before I added the veggies and spices. But please observe the dark coffee like color.... I was pretty proud of myself for this meal!

Close up of the roux.... Seriously can you go wrong with anything that looks this good??

Taa-Daa! a little bowl of soulful goodness!


And I am done :) I had to say part of what made this meal so fun is that Peej and little man were in the kitchen helping. It was a true family meal. Brody helped me stir the spices while PJ cooked the andouille sausage, chopped, mixed, stirred and then devoured :) I hope everyone had a wonderful Mardi Gras and that we all enjoy a spiritual Lenten Season.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. This looks super delicious! Could you maybe e-mail me the recipe? I've yet to make any of this!

    ReplyDelete