Friday, March 11, 2011

The Neighborhood Book Club

Last night we were outside enjoying the beautiful weather! We did some pick up in the backyard (poop scoop to be exact). And then were doing some shrub removal in the front flower bed when I met a few of the neighbors! There were a few kiddos out playing and Brods was just fascinated with their bike! They likewise were fascinated with Brody :) One of the little girls asked, "Can I touch him?!" It was SOOOO CUTE! So they gave each other hugs. I wish i could have caught that on camera, but alas I did not have my camera on me. Anywho, a couple of the ladies in the neighborhood were out taking a stroll and stooped by to introduce themselves. After chatting for a few mins they said they had been meaning to come by and ask if I would like to join their book club. I of course jumped at the chance! I have been talking with a few girls at work about a book club but did not really have the energy or drive to start it up myself. So this is the perfect opportunity for me to get in the regular habit of reading novels again! Plus I am down for anything that builds a strong sense of community in the neighborhood. So needless to say I am VERY excited! The women are mostly my mothers age, as the demographic is such in the neighborhood. So I am a little nervous about meeting and getting to know new people. But this will be a great chance for me to step out of my comfort zone of my home and get to know others :) My first meeting is this Monday @ 7 and they are going over The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls. Kathy, the host, dropped the book by last night and told me there was no pressure to get this read, but I would at least like to skim it so I can participate in the conversation. I have read the first 50 pages or so and hope to have it almost completed by Monday. Wish me luck!

1 comment: